Monday, June 30, 2008

.Space-Time Language


If you accept the idea that everything
is in constant motion,
it becomes clear that language
in it's current development
does not reflect this reality.
Representing spatial movement
horizontally (behind-now-forward)
and time vertically (past-
present-future) a sentence
such as 'I go to work' becomes


..I..........go...........to...............work
I-I-I..go-go-go..to-to-to..work-work-work
..I..........go...........to...............work

for small increments of space and time.
Other words could
be inserted for greater increments,
such as

......I...............quickly............to...........break
late I-I-frenzied I..stroll-walk-run...
to-to-to...work-work-work
.10 min ago I..........slowly...........
to..........start-work

One can see the possibility for
greater expressiveness, with the
invention of shorter symbols
for space and time.



***************

Amusing. Witty. I'm suddenly a fan! :)

0 comments: